Dealing With Missing or Late Tax Documents

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Tax Planning Tips and other Taxes topics.

What should I do if I haven’t received all my 2005 tax documents?

Dealing With Missing or Late Tax Documents

It's the end of February and you still haven't received all the Income Tax Filing documents you were expecting? If you're expecting a refund, that can be a real pain. However, there's technically no need to worry. First, try calling the employer, investment company, bank, or lender. If they say they've already sent the document(s), ask that a replacement be sent immediately. If that doesn't get results, you will need to call the IRS for help at 1-800-829-1040. Remember, even if you don't receive a form that you were expecting, the IRS may have. It is your responsibility to make sure you report all income from all sources on your income tax form.

If your employer does not have a copy or refuses to provide a Form W-2 for Income Tax Filing, contact the IRS to report the problem: (800) 829-1040. With the information you provide, the IRS will prepare a Form 4852 - Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement - that you can use for income tax filing purposes.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Taxes Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Linda Handiak