Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Federal Income Taxes and other Taxes topics.
H&R Block Tip: Outside of the Gross Income Threshold requirements, other tests are used to determine whether or not you must file an income tax return. You must file an income tax return if any of the following conditions are met:
- You are going to get a refund of taxes withheld from your pay
- You have a tax liability not covered by withholding
- You owe any special tax (alternative minimum tax)
- You owe an IRA penalty
- You owe FICA on tip income
- You are self-employed and owe self-employment tax on earnings greater than $400
- You received any advance earned income credit payments from your employer
Once you determine how you're going to file this year, consider purchasing tax software programs such as TaxCut from H&R Block will help you find the right forms for your filing needs, and offer additional tax preparation help for your income tax return.