Important Employee Forms

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Tax Forms and other Taxes topics.

What are some employee tax forms?

Important Employee Forms

If you are an employee, there are two IRS tax forms that are particularly important to you. They are the W-4 and the W-2.

The W-4 (Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate) is an informational IRS form that you need to fill out when you work as an employee. This is the form contains the amount of withholding allowances you claim. It also contains whether or not you want any additional amounts withheld from your paycheck. It can be updated throughout the year with your employer as your circumstance changes. However, every time you need to change information on your W-4, you need to fill out a new one. This tax form will become part of your employer's payroll department.

The W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) is the tax form your employer prepares and sends to you by January 31, 2007. It contains information you need to fill out your Form 1040, Form 1040A, or Form 1040EZ income tax return. Information contained on your W-2 includes:

  • your total wages
  • any social security withheld
  • any Medicare withheld
  • federal income tax withheld
  • state income tax withheld
  • your social security number
  • your name and address
  • your employer's contact information
  • tax year
You need to attach the ‘Federal copy' of your W-2 to your 1040 when you file your 2006 income tax return with the IRS.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Taxes Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Christina Chan