Where to Find Tax Help

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about IRS and other Taxes topics.

Where can I get help preparing my taxes?

Where to Find Tax Help

There are a number of places you can get help preparing your federal taxes. The IRS tax help service is available online at the IRS' Web site. It offers topic-specific information in the form of a FAQ list as well as more in-depth fact sheets on topics commonly asked about. You can also hear pre-recorded information on many of these same topics by calling TeleTax at 1-800-829-4477. If you don't feel like wading through the telephone menus at TeleTax, individual tax filers can call IRS customer service at 1-800-829-3676. Business filers should call 1-800-829-4933. TTY/TDD callers can reach IRS customer service at 1-800-829-4059. Finally, if you're using one of the popular do-it-yourself tax programs, those offer a wealth of information under the “Help” tab, and screen-specific help pops up as you work on your return. Just remember to check for updates to ensure you have the latest, greatest information before you begin plugging in your numbers. You can also hire a tax professional to prepare your taxes. For qualified tax professionals in your area, check the business listings in your phone book.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Taxes Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Carma Spence-Pothitt