February 19, 2010, Newsletter Issue #206: Dealing With Missing or Late Tax Documents

Tip of the Week

It's the end of February and you still haven't received all the Income Tax Filing documents you were expecting? If you're expecting a refund, that can be a real pain. However, there's technically no need to worry. First, try calling the employer, investment company, bank, or lender. If they say they've already sent the document(s), ask that a replacement be sent immediately. If that doesn't get results, you will need to call the IRS for help at 1-800-829-1040. Remember, even if you don't receive a form that you were expecting, the IRS may have. It is your responsibility to make sure you report all income from all sources on your income tax form.

If your employer does not have a copy or refuses to provide a Form W-2 for Income Tax Filing, contact the IRS to report the problem: (800) 829-1040. With the information you provide, the IRS will prepare a Form 4852 - Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement - that you can use for income tax filing purposes.

About LifeTips

Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.

Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Taxes Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Joe Wallace