September 25, 2009, Newsletter Issue #186: Important Employee Forms

Tip of the Week

If you are an employee, there are two IRS tax forms that are particularly important to you. They are the W-4 and the W-2.

The W-4 (Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate) is an informational IRS form that you need to fill out when you work as an employee. This is the form contains the amount of withholding allowances you claim. It also contains whether or not you want any additional amounts withheld from your paycheck. It can be updated throughout the year with your employer as your circumstance changes. However, every time you need to change information on your W-4, you need to fill out a new one. This tax form will become part of your employer’s payroll department.

The W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) is the tax form your employer prepares and sends to you by January 31, 2007. It contains information you need to fill out your Form 1040, Form 1040A, or Form 1040EZ income tax return. Information contained on your W-2 includes:

your total wagesany social security withheldany Medicare withheldfederal income tax withheldstate income tax withheldyour social security numberyour name and addressyour employer’s contact informationtax year You need to attach the ‘Federal copy’ of your W-2 to your 1040 when you file your 2006 income tax return with the IRS.

About LifeTips

Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.

Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Taxes Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
PJ Campbell