May 22, 2009, Newsletter Issue #168: Efiling Payments

Tip of the Week

When you file your income tax return electronically, you will be paying in the same way you would have had you chosen the paper method of filing your income taxes. You can pay via credit card, authorized electronic funds withdrawal, check, or money order.

For payment by credit card, the IRS accepts Visa, Discover, American Express, and MasterCard.

If you want to pay by making an authorized electronic funds withdrawal you need to have a checking or savings account where the funds can be withdrawn. To use this method, you will need to have your bank account and routing number available. You can choose which date you want the funds withdrawn (up to April 16, 2007). A Department of Treasury financial agent does the withdrawal transaction.

Of course, if you pay by check or money order, you must mail your payment into your designated IRS service center. Your check or money order needs to be made out to the United States Treasury. You also need to include IRS Form 1040-V (Payment Voucher).

About LifeTips

Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.

Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Taxes Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Linda Handiak