July 7, 2006, Newsletter Issue #23: Requesting an Extension of Time to File

Tip of the Week

Until 2005, tax filing extensions were only four months long. To request an extension of time to file your tax return, you will need to submit IRS Form 4868. You can find the form on the IRS’ Web site as well as at many local post offices or office supply stores. The form can be submitted by mail, phone, or computer. But remember, an extension of time to file means just that—you have six extra months to get your paperwork filed. It is not an extension of time to pay the taxes you owe, if any. You generally will need to pay some or all of the estimated taxes due at the time you file your request for extension.

About LifeTips

Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.

Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Taxes Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
PJ Campbell